Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Easter Sunday 2009

Jesus,
Mary of Magdala, Peter and John longed to grieve you.
They ran to sit at your tomb because they still could not accept your death.
They expected quiet, tears of grief and their own lonely hearts.

Instead they found the stone rolled back from the entrance.
Fear consumed them.

They peered in.
They saw emptiness.
They saw a simple white garment.
They saw only themselves.

Jesus,
Their joy came from the emptiness of the tomb.
They began to hear what you had predicted.
They saw new life even in their fear.

Give us courage this Easter morning.
Open up the graves of our despair.
Help us beyond our vision of emptiness.

I see the white garment everyday.
I see people waiting for a change of clothing at our parish doors.
I see people who wait for love.
I see those waiting for underwear, socks or a laundry voucher to wash their clothing.

Jesus,
Wrap a new garment of love around your people.
Embrace us in goodness, passion and new life.
Wash away the stains of despair, loneliness and discouragement

Help us all to believe that you remain with us.
Help us all believe that we belong wrapped in the garment of peace.
Help us all realize we cling to the emptiness of the tomb.
Help us all see ourselves in your bright light of Resurrection.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment